Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Busy People

Did you look at the title of this blog and wonder if it was about you? If so, then watch out! I'm looking for a few busy people to get even busier!

In the three years that I've worked for our Boy Scout Council, I've found the old adage to be quite true: "if you want to get something done, ask someone who is busy." Busy people must know how to manage their time and get things done.

Something I'm beginning to see is that the same is true for fundraising. Folks who are accustomed to giving to important community causes are likely to hear me out when I talk about the importance of supporting Scouting in our community. Folks who don't give to charity in general, also probably won't give their financial resources to Scouting.

Both of these generalities have limits, of course. I can burn out someone who is already busy by asking him/her to do even more. And I can turn someone off of Scouting by asking for too much money too often. So I must use some discernment when asking folks for their time or money.

My job is to grow Scouting in our community. A mission, I'm sure, that most folks in our area would agree is a challenging, but important task. But it is a mission that I cannot accomplish alone. I must ask for help. Ask, ask, and keep asking volunteers, parents, prospective Scouts, Scouts, community leaders, Scouting alumni to give their time and resources.

But I know there are people out there who don't feel comfortable saying no to folks. My wife and I have trouble saying no. We've got a 9-month-old at home, so we're learning to get better at it. We have to say no sometimes. There just isn't enough time in the day for all the great causes out there.

I wanted to sign off this first post by saying to everyone in our district that I'm used to hearing no. It's part of the job. So when I overreach, I ask for too much, if you say no to me, I don't take it personally. Just let me know. Thanks!